In 1935, the city administrators felt that they were unfairly carrying the burden of fire protection since the city was paying for this protection, but rural residents were not. Every alarm in the rural district was taking the city's protection away from the city residents. So, a separate entity, the Chino Rural Fire Department was organized by the vote of the people. It was established under the Health and Safety Code, Section 14400.
Women's Auxiliary Fire Group
In April 1942, the City Council approved Chief Wagner's recommendation to organize a Women's Auxiliary Fire Group. During the war years, manpower was critically short, and the women's group was to assist with fire suppression in Chino's 93 square mile area. The women were trained in all phases of fire suppression, apparatus operation, and life-saving techniques. Every auxiliary member was trained to:
- Fight fires
- Render first aid (including machine-operated resuscitation and inhalation)
- Make forcible entry
- Understand salvage operations
- Operate communications
- Know radio codes
This group of women gave many hours of valuable service to the community.
Organization and Personnel Expansions
In May 1946, the City Council approved Chief' Wagner's request for a second full-time fireman so that two men would be on duty on each shift. The city hired Howard Schroyer as their second full-time fireman, and the rural district hired Lester Hemstreet as their second full-time fireman.
In January 1949, the City Council took a large step forward in the fire service when they approved Chief Wagner's recommendation to establish a Fire Prevention Bureau through Ordinance No. 216. Vern Kage was hired as the first Fire Inspector Fireman.
In August 1952, the City Council approved Chief Wagner's recommendation of placing a full-time person in the Fire Prevention Bureau and, with the agreement of the Rural Fire Commissioners paying half of the salary, they hired Andy Andersen as the second full-time Fire Prevention Officer. In September 1952, the City Council approved Chief Wagner's recommendation for a full-time Assistant Chief, with the agreement of the Rural Fire Commissioners to pay half the salary. Howard Schroyer was promoted to the full-time paid position of Assistant Fire Chief. In October 1952, the Fire Inspectors' cart was purchased for use in the city and the rural district.