District of Distinction
The Chino Valley Fire District is committed to protecting the lives and property of the communities we serve in a professional and fiscally responsible manner. Part of that commitment includes obtaining accreditation as a District of Distinction by the Special District Leadership Foundation.
The Chino Valley Fire District was accredited as a District of Distinction for a fourth time on September 8, 2014. The Fire District was the first ever fire district in California to receive that accreditation in 2008.
Districts are accredited for two years before having to reapply. The District of Distinction Accreditation is one of the most prestigious local government awards in California and recognizes the district’s commitment to good governance as well as ethical and sound operating practices.
The accreditation criterion gets to the heart of best practices in public agencies. It demonstrates that the district receiving accreditation:
- Understands and respects the responsibilities inherent in providing essential public services
- Has clean financial audits and operates in a fiscally responsible and transparent manner
- Is conscious of the ever-changing operating environment by having current and relevant policies and procedures in place that conform to all statutes and regulations under state law
- Places an emphasis on continuing education completed by having each of the district’s board members and executive staff in ethics, governance, and leadership training
- Focuses on having sound policies in the areas of governance, board conduct, district finances, transparency, and reserves