Chino Valley Independent Fire District, CA


What is a hazardous material?

A hazardous material is any material that, when it escapes its container, could cause harm to life or health, the environment, or property. Examples of hazardous materials include flammable and combustible liquids, corrosives, explosives, oxidizers, poisons, materials that react violently with water, radioactive materials, biological materials, etc. Note that a hazardous material is not the same as a toxic waste.

Who regulates the use of hazardous materials in my business?

There are many areas of the California Fire Code that address the use and storage of hazardous materials in a business. These regulations are enforced by the Community Risk Reduction Division of the Fire District (Ph: 909-902-5280). Other regulations involving hazardous materials are found in the California Health and Safety Code.  The regulations addressed in the California Health and Safety Code are enforced by the Hazardous Materials Division of the San Bernardino County Fire Department, as they are designated by the State Secretary for Environmental Protection as the Certified Unified Program Agency or "CUPA" for the County of San Bernardino.  For additional information about the CUPA, please contact (909) 386-8401.

What is a hazardous waste?

A hazardous waste is simply a hazardous material you don't want anymore. If a hazardous material is disposed of, that makes it a hazardous waste. If a hazardous material is spilled and cannot be effectively picked up and used as a product, it is considered to be a hazardous waste. If a hazardous material sits unused, and it is obvious there is no realistic intent to use the material, it is considered to be a hazardous waste. Hazardous wastes are only allowed to stay on your site for a certain amount of time (normally 90 days) before being disposed of through a registered hazardous waste contractor.

Who regulates the storage and disposal of hazardous wastes at my business?

The Hazardous Waste Program is operated by the Hazardous Materials Division of the San Bernardino County Fire Department. For more information, please call (909) 386-8401.

Are there liabilities in how I dispose of hazardous waste for my business?

Yes. There are three legal ways to dispose of a hazardous waste. It can be recycled, incinerated, or placed in a hazardous waste dump. We recommend recycling whenever possible, as it is usually the least expensive method and often results in no residual liability.

How do I dispose of household hazardous waste?

The City of Chino provides residents of San Bernardino County with a safe and convenient disposal option for common household products containing chemicals, through their Household Hazardous Waste (HHW) Program.

The following items are accepted:

Electronic waste

Household generated motor oil & oil filters

Antifreeze & gasoline

Auto & household batteries

Pesticides & fertilizers

Paint products; thinners & stains

Chemical cleaners

Outdated medications (no controlled substances)

Pool & hobby supplies

Fluorescent bulbs & tubes


Mercury Gauges

Non-empty aerosol cans

Tires (on & off the rim) 

The following items are not accepted:

Sharps (Needles, Syringes, and Lancets)

Business wastes


Medical wastes

Radioactive wastes

Yard wastes

Appliances (large)




How do I dispose of hazardous waste from a business?

  • You can contact a registered hazardous waste transporter
  • You can search online for hazardous or waste disposal
  • If your business generates less than 220 pounds of hazardous waste per month (100 kilograms), contact the San Bernardino County at 1-800-OILY CAT, as they have a Conditionally Exempt Small Quantity Generator (CESQG) Program that allows the collection of such wastes from businesses for a fee.  Their fees are often less than those charged by commercial hazardous waste contractors. Contact them for more information. 

How do I dispose of waste oil?

Check with your local auto part store as most have a motor oil recycling program.