FIRE ADMINISTRATION

14011 City Center Drive
Chino Hills, CA 91709

EMERGENCY DIAL 911

NON-EMERGENCY
(909) 902-5260

Chino Valley Fire District

The Early Years

FAITHFULNESS. INTEGRITY. RESPECT. EXCELLENCE.

The First Fire Commission

A fire commission was established in 1910 when the city of Chino was incorporated.  The first fire commissioners consisted of three city council members:

  • Bill Tebo
  • Bill Houlihan
  • C. Reher

    The newly appointed commissioners set out to obtain more equipment for the department. In 1918 the department received a Lambert-Ford, 800-gallon-per-minute pumper that was stored at the Seventh and D Street Cart house.  In May 1912, ordinance No. 36 was adopted, and fire department rules were established.

    Lambert-Ford Fire Truck

    The Chino Fire Department diligently responded to city and rural district fire alarms within a 93-square-mile radius.  The Lambert-Ford fire truck acquired by the commissioners was in service from 1918 to 1923.  The truck was determined to be inefficient for its duties during that time, so the city administrators agreed to spend $8,500 to replace it with a 1923 American LaFrance with chain drive and a 500-gallon-per-minute pump. This unit also carried a soda-and-acid chemical tank.

    City Decisions

    By October 1915, the Chino Fire Company No. 1 had been reorganized. Membership was limited to 23, and Olin Stark was appointed fire chief. Stark received $1.50 per fire.

    In 1924, the city decided that its fire department should be a paid department. Frank Payne became the first paid fireman for the City of Chino. However, the city still maintained 24 non-paid volunteer firemen. Art Wagner completed the first fire station. The station was rented from the Odd Fellows Lodge at the northwest corner of Seventh and D Streets. This building became the headquarters of the fire department from 1924 to 1953.

    In May 1926, the city council voted to approve an allowance of $1 per month for fire drills and practices. In January 1927, J. B. Andrews was appointed fire chief and was given a salary of $10 per month to oversee the personnel and ensure the fire equipment was always ready for service. In addition, the city council ordered 20 firemen badges and ordered signs for their cars. In January 1932, Art Wagner was appointed fire chief. He was given a salary of $20 per month to answer the fire phone at night and check equipment.